Thursday, April 8, 2010

Utah State Convention

Happy Birthday Song for Shauna.

Utah State AMI Convention: Chairpersons and Honored Mothers

The Utah State American Mothers Convention was on March 6, 2010. My 40th birthday!

For my birthday, Brent arranged to spend the night at Little America in Salt Lake. He had to arrange all sorts of little details (babysitter, substitutes for work, the ballet carpool) What a great gift!

We left Saturday evening and went to Salt Lake. We shopped at the Gateway, and got a few screaming deals (including fabulous hot pink wedge sandals--I love shoes!) We were looking for suits for AMI things and found nothing good. We did get to visit the book store, though! We ate at Costa Vida (I had fajita steak quesadillas, but unfortunately, I have really lost my taste for meat, so I ended up picking most of the steak out. I’m getting weird, I know! I’m catching “vegetarian” from Brent!) Then back to our hotel room to work on my speech. (Brent is an excellent corroborator. He helps take my ideas, notes and drafts and distills them into powerful, concise, logical words!) I had a long luxurious bath before bed. Great day!

I slept horribly at the hotel. I think I was latently nervous about my speech—partly because it wasn’t completely finished and polished yet and partly because the hotel had only fluffy, soft bits-of-nothing pillows. I like mine nearly solid foam. Brent was in heaven, though, he loves those kind of pillows. I got up early and began re-working and practicing my speech and getting ready. I had a great hair day! What a great birthday present. Yeah!

The luncheon was in Brigham City at the Maddox Lodge. The president of AMI, Lisa Klomp, invited everyone to sing to me for the meeting started. (I admit, it was fun to have 100 people singing Happy Birthday!) I gave my speech and it went really well. I wish that I had finished it earlier and had more time to polish it, but I felt like it turned out well.

We stayed around to talk and visit after the convention, and even did the “back arch lift” that I mentioned in my speech. (the pictures aren't great, but at least I have pictures of it!)

We stopped by Fashion Place Mall, (looking for suits and a MAC makeup counter) We didn’t really find anything . . . there was a makeup event and the store was a mad house!) But, we got a new red cover for my phone and ate yummy veggie pizza. Then we raced home to get ready for our soccer game (which included a 15 minute power nap for me). We tied the soccer game . . . and I had another “almost” goal . . . I’m getting better!

We went home and read to the children and tucked them in, then we went country dancing. We haven’t been country dancing in months! At home, Brent was saying a beautiful prayer before bed, (thanking God for me . . . isn't that kind?) but I heard only the first 3 seconds before I was completely asleep.

Sunday morning, Brent said, “We just spend the last 56 hours together. It makes me so happy to be with you.” “Mmmm, Me too!” Then he said the beautifully obvious, “We were definitely meant for each other.” I love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment