Thursday, April 8, 2010

Portfolio: Question 10

10. What could you do in your community and state to promote AMI programs?

I pledge to wage a vigorous campaign against abuse and violence in all its forms.


Increase Communication

The programs of AMI are designed to encourage and uplift mothers as well as strengthen the fight to build strong families. More mothers need to know about this organization. I majored in marketing in college and worked for some time in the marketing arena and therefore understand that sometimes the toughest battle is just getting the word out. To publicize American Mothers Inc., I intend to visit various City Council Meetings and other legislative meetings during their public comment period to make a formal statement describing AMI activities, and encourage family friendly legislation. I will also utilize social networking sites and public message boards to describe AMI activities, especially to build interfaith alliances and promote a formal celebration of National Mothers Prayer Day. I can write letters to the editors of newspapers and create a blog and an online newsletter of my “adventures in mothering” as an AMI representative.

Books for Babies

As a member of my local library Board of Directors, I was able to secure a sizeable grant to encourage literacy in young girls. The Books for Babies program parallels this objective. Although I cannot guarantee winning another grant, I will certainly try. I also have a reading presentation “The E’s and Ease of Helping Your Child Love Reading” that I can offer libraries and other groups throughout the state to inspire young mothers to read (more) to their children.

5th Grade Essay Contest

Writing goes hand in hand with reading. Promoting this program through contact with local PTA Presidents and homeschool groups would dovetail nicely with my passion for reading. I will create flyers to post on Community Boards at local libraries and schools as well as an electronic flyer to inform homeschool, public school, and charter school groups of this opportunity for children.

2 comments:

  1. If you can get a grant for the Books for Babies program, I want to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your answers to all your portfolio questions! I learned alot about you. You are amazing! I am so glad I know you and can learn from you!

    ReplyDelete