Thursday, April 8, 2010

Portfolio: Question 4

4. What specific things do you do to nurture each child?

I pledge to encourage honesty, integrity, patriotism, and the application of moral values in every area

of American life beginning in my own home

“I’m awake, I’m awake! Keep reading!” My teenage son is a captive audience and willing to stay in bed for a few extra minutes, even if it includes listening to his mother reading a story. Reading individually with my children each day helps create opportunities to discuss important things in an unobtrusive manner. Often, these books become “Book Club Party” books. We have a fun time planning the craft, treat, story books and activities we will include at our Mother/Child Book Club Party. I try to allow each child one book club party per quarter. But they are so fun, I’ve had a child ask, “Can I have an extra Book Club Party instead of a birthday party this year?”

“Mom is my favorite mom because she’s the one who came up with birthday dates.” Each month, on the anniversary of the day of their birthday, we have a birthday date with each child. We do simple, inexpensive things, like visit a special park or stop by the pet shop just to look. One or both parents go on the date; the most important thing is that child feels individually loved.

During “Tuck-In Time” at night, I pray individually with each of the children. They know that when I am praying next to them, I am praying ONLY for them. Often, we discuss our prayers. I try to let my children know how precious they are to me and how grateful I am for them. Also, I keep a circle journal with each of my children and we write regular notes to each other in our special books.

“Because we don’t have cows!” is my answer when a child asks why they have to practice their music. Daily music practice has many benefits, not the least of which is teaching a strong work ethic—just like working on a dairy farm. I try to make practicing a pleasant experience for all of us. (It’s a goal I continuously work toward!) They don’t love it so much . . . but they will. They also don’t love media restrictions. We allow only three “free” hours of media on Saturday night, but they can earn more media time through additional instrument practice or extra family work. They don’t think of that family rule as nurturing . . . but they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment