Thursday, April 8, 2010

Portfolio: Question 6

6. In what ways do you seek to enrich your own life?

I pledge to serve my family and community through personal development as an individual, parent and citizen.

When I was a teenager, my mother painted a still life of an apple and read Les Miserables. She taught through her example that it is valuable and commendable as a mother to seek personal enrichment.

Within my community, I serve on the American Fork Library Board. As a member of the board, I have been able to speak at City Council meetings to present the library’s strengths and plead against major budget cuts. I was also able to obtain a sizeable grant for a new program we are beginning at the library, and will be taking a fun family tradition (Mother/Daughter Book Club Parties . . . emphasis on the party) to the community. I have also enjoyed serving on a local city council member’s campaign staff.

On a personal level, as a busy homeschooling mother of five active children, I have learned to multi-task and to squeeze “my” things into a day already packed full of worthy activities. I wake up before my children to exercise, study, and plan my day. I listen to taped educational lectures while getting ready in the mornings. I jump rope for five minutes five times a day to pack in a bit more exercise. I listen to audio books while I “put my house to bed” late at night. I do leg squats while I brush my teeth. I practice harp after my children are in bed. And I take “power” naps.

I try to “Gain a Proficiency Yearly.” Sometimes the proficiency picks itself, (i.e., “I can learn to mother young children” or “I can graduate from law school”.) But usually I ponder and plan through December and January—getting more and more excited about the possibilities for my next proficiency. My husband jokes that “my proficiency” is just an excuse to buy books, but through the years (since 1990) I have learned to do some pretty amazing things. I learned to play the harp at age 30 and the violin at 36. One year, I studied fitness and nutrition and lost 27 pounds. (I’ve kept 20 off!) I learned about photography and scrapbooking and was published in several nationally acclaimed magazines. I developed my skills as a public speaker, and spoke in numerous large meetings. I have run two marathons. Last year I studied ballet, earned pointe shoes, and even became a ballet teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment