Thursday, April 8, 2010

Portfolio: Question 3

3. On a daily basis, what do you feel is your most important function?

I pledge to remember that with God, all things are possible.

A favorite quote says, “A mother’s love perceives no impossibilities.” Many years ago I spoke to a friend with nearly fifteen siblings. Half of them were adopted or foster siblings. All of the children from this family turned out to be happy, contributing, competent adults. This family produced several multi-million dollar business owners, many talented musicians, and some really amazing parents, despite stories of a somewhat (ahem!) scatter-brained mother. I asked my friend, “How did your mother do it? How did everyone turn out so well?” The answer was love. My friend said, “She just loved us to success.” This has become my central goal in motherhood. I want my children to know that I love them. Sometimes it is tough love, sometimes it is sappy, goofy love, but it is always unconditional and freely given. I am constantly telling them “I love you no matter what!” I want to “love them to success” . . . however they choose to define success!

Loving my children goes beyond just telling them that I love them. They need to comprehend my love for them through my words and actions. I kiss and hug them. I leave notes for them—often in surprising places! In homeschool, I help them learn to love learning. I help them learn to work and to serve. I help them learn to give their best efforts. (One family saying is: Well done is DUNN done!) I take them to church and help them discover that God loves them even more than I do. And I pray, a lot, for the capacity to love them to success.

We can do that, but first we have to ___________.” Fill in the blank with clean your room, practice cello or other such task. When my daughter Coco was five, I was struggling with her strong personality. Praying and pondering helped me discover that I was a large part of the problem. The lesson I thought I was teaching, “work before play” was coming across to her as “I will love

you if . . .” I repented. I worked to do or say twenty positive things to her before anything that could be considered negative each day. I learned to proactively hug her and say, “Let’s be together. First we’ll clean your room, and then we can play a game. I love being with you.” It was a small change, but it has made all the difference. My most important function is to love my children to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment